Updated: Dec 10, 2018
The holidays are supposed to be full of joy, thankfulness, family and fun. While this may be true, there’s also a lot of stress that comes flooding in around the holiday season. We are left in between the pressure to have fun and enjoy, while managing extra anxiety. So, how do we take care of ourselves over the holidays? Check out these tips to refocus on YOU first, so that your holidays can be what they are intended to be.
6 Self-Care Tips for the Holidays
1) Try to maintain your self-care routine. If you generally hit up yoga or a fitness class, try to stay on track over the holidays. (You can even bring your family!) Replacing your routine with something else like a walk outside is also a great option. When your body is used to regular movement and doses of adrenaline and dopamine, your body might have a hard time managing stress without it.
2) Relax! I realize this is contrary to the above tip, but your movement is only about 30-60 minutes of your day! You will have plenty of time to relax and recharge. Watch a movie or take some time to just be alone. Use your time off to slow down and let your mind and body rejuvenate for the year to come.
3) Focus on gratitude. It certainly is hard to do, but we can manage our happiness by what we focus on. Instead of focusing on all the things that might be causing stress, focus on things like your family time, laughter, yummy food, and/or the holiday traditions.
4) Let go of expectations. Sometimes we get stuck in what SHOULD be. “The mashed potatoes SHOULD be perfect.” “the dinner SHOULD be ready by 5pm.” or “the whole family SHOULD be together.” These are all things that we can’t really control. If we go into the holidays without expectations, there will be much less stress when things go a different way than you envisioned.
5) Give back. Try giving back to your community during the holidays. This could be volunteering your time serving food or donating to the local food bank. Volunteering is a great way to enhance your well-being; it’s a win-win. Your community benefits, and so do you. Don't have time to volunteer? Buy gifts for your friends and family that support charitable causes! Check out this list of fitness brands that give back.
6) Try mindfulness exercises. When the stress starts to come on, accept that it’s normal and it’s not your fault. Try some mindfulness exercises like deep belly breathing or download a meditation app, like Calm or Headspace.
What’s your favorite self-care tip? Comment below and spread your wellness!
With good intentions,